April 14, 2016

Emma Recommends Some #QuietYA

Last fall, I used a Top Ten Tuesday freebie to share some of my top #quietYA recommendations. I decided it was time to share more, and I encountered a little problem... my list totaled over twenty books. Well, that's not exactly a problem in the grand scheme of things, but it is when considering a blog post. So all that means is that I'm gonna have to do another blog post about #quietYA very soon. 

One of my favorite books that I read in the last few years is Pivot Point by Kasie West.
11988046
If you like super powers, alternate universes, and swoony boys, this is a book for you. Plus, it has a sequel, but it wraps up in that one, so no unnecessary drawn-out plot like some trilogies have.

Another perennial favorite of mine is Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer.
12924304
It's one of my go-to recommendations for female friendships, realistic teenage characters, and hate-to-love romances.

If you love historical fiction, you can't go wrong with The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough.
20308537
It has third-person narration with plenty of characters that never get confusing, non-cheesy star-crossed lovers, and diversity.

If you want more star-crossed lovers, go for Like No Other by Una LaMarche.
18667862
It's not your typical Romeo and Juliet story. There's diversity and realistic characters and a vibrant setting.

If you've read the Gallagher Girls series (which I loved), than you should try Also Known As by Robin Benway.
13132661
It's full of sneaky-times, and it too has a sequel with even more spy shenanigans.

I definitely can't resist listing two Kasie West books in one post. She's one of my favorite writers of contemporary romance, and The Fill-In Boyfriend is no exception.
18660447
There's character growth and fleshed-out secondary characters, besides the romance. What more could you want?

But if you're looking for fantasy and adventure, you should definitely give Across a Star-Swept Sea a chance. 
16102412
It's the companion to For Darkness Shows the Stars, and they're both retellings of classics. You could read AaSSS without reading FDStS, but know that there are cameos by FDStS characters that may spoil some of their book's plot.

I haven't read this next pick recently, but I remember loving The Things You Kiss Goodbye when I first read it.
18651924
It's a story of self-discovery and first love.

If you're okay with a Christian aspect to your YA, I recommend The Distance Between Lost and Found.
22477297
It's a fairly quiet book, besides being underappreciated, and I loved watching Hallie's journey.

I'll wrap up this post with one of the first YA books I really enjoyed: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt.
10594356
It's sassy with a strong voice and definitely another book about finding yourself.

Have you read any of these #quietYA books? Which books do you think are underappreciated?

1 comment:

  1. I need to try Pivot Point (Esp. since I love The Distance Between Us and The Fill-In Boyfriend!), but the library doesn't have it. (Need to request it eventually.) I keep hearing good things about it! I really like Smart Girls Get What They Want! And I need to try Also Known As, because I absolutely love the Gallagher Girl books! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...