July 1, 2017

Why I Love The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You

When you reread a book heaven knows how many times in its release year, you know you love it. I can't tell y'all how many times I reread The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You because I didn't keep track. But I feel like I read it once a month every month from August through December (after my initial read in April and reread in May).

I've already raved about TOTWTMIY in my review, but here are four distinct reasons why I love it so much.


1. The nerdiness
I love how all the main characters are nerdy and aren't afraid to be. They love all things superhero and sci-fi, and the feeling is perfectly infused in the book. (The Watsons' dog is named Sherlock. Dr. Who and Star Wars are name-dropped left and right.)

Also, since Harper (the Hero character) dresses up as Supergirl for Halloween, here's a picture of me as Kara Danvers/Supergirl mid-transformation from last Halloween.



2. It's a Shakespeare retelling.
I make it no secret that I find Shakespeare's plays fascinating and that I love (and want more) adaptations/retellings, particularly YA ones and web series. Somehow I didn't know it was a Much Ado About Nothing retelling when I requested an e-galley, but that made it all the sweeter.


3. How Lily Anderson modernized it.
She plays homage to the original play so well, but she also modernizes the story, changing the Hero scandal but keeping the basis of it. Also, Beatrice/Trixie fits perfectly in a modern world.


4. The banter
I love enemies-to-lovers ships and banter and slow-burn, and TOTWTMIY delivers especially well on banter. Lily retained the spirit of Beatrice and Benedick's relationship so well. (And of course this item calls for Nothing Much to Do gifs.)




So if you haven't read The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You yet, you need to get on that stat. I'm even including buy links.

Read Between the Lynes  Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...