December 30, 2017

End-of-the-Year Reading Challenge Updates

So it's been quite a while since I told y'all how my reading challenges were going. And, not gonna lie, I definitely slacked off this fall. I had way too many new releases to read (plus reading for class). But I've managed to read a few, so here we go!

The Rory Gilmore Challenge

I'm going to start off by saying I've read 44 out of 225 books/plays/whatever. I have also straight up removed a couple books from the challenge because I decided they wouldn't be worth my time.

Next! Month(ish) by month(ish) updates:

I read Anna Karenina at the end of June, and I think that deserves an award. I think the only longer fiction book I've read is Les Miserables

Since I own The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, thanks to my Shakespeare class, I read another Shakespeare play in August: The Merry Wives of Windsor. It was interesting. Not my fave, but interesting. 

At the end of September, I tried to read the memoir Wild, which inspired Lorelai's trip in A Year in the Life: Fall, but it definitely wasn't to my taste, so I DNFed it. But I gave it a try, so I counted it.

In November, I read The Poetry of Emily Dickinson. It wasn't the same edition Rory read, but I think it counts all the same. I also read The Great Gatsby for the first time ever. Fitzgerald is so extra at times, good grief, but it was definitely an interesting read.

At the beginning of December, I read A Girl from Yamhill, which is Beverly Cleary's memoir. The style of it was interesting but a bit dry. I followed that with Henry IV, part II and Othello in the middle of the month. Now I have only four Shakespeare plays to finish for the Rory Gilmore Challenge. 
I continued the Shakespeare theme and read his sonnets, thanks to my parents, who gifted me the Word Cloud Classics edition for Christmas. It's gold and shimmery and very pretty.

All in all, I'm 19.5% of the way through the challenge. Here's to hoping I'll be at least 25% through by the end of 2018!


The Newbery Challenge

I am ashamed to admit it, but I read zero Newbery winners from June to the middle of December. Go ahead and scold me.

I should point out that there are fewer books on my Newbery challenge than in my Rory Gilmore challenge, so it's not terrible if I spread it out a little and take my time. But I did read Ginger Pye right before Christmas. I thought maybe I'd read this when I was a kid, but I have no recollection of the storyline, so I'm thinking I didn't.

I'm 64% done with this challenge, hooray!


Do you have any reading challenges you're working on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...